Tips to prepare for blackouts below! But first we ask, how do you prepare for blackouts?
2. Fill plastic containers with water and place them in the refrigerator and freezer. Leave about an inch of space inside each one to account for expansion. Chilled or frozen water will help keep food cold during a temporary power outage.
3. Be aware that most medication that requires refrigeration can be kept in a closed refrigerator for several hours without a problem. If unsure, check with your physician or pharmacist.
4. Keep your car tank at least half full because gas stations rely on electricity to power their pumps.
5. Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located and how to operate it. Garage doors can be heavy, so know that you may need help in lifting it.
6. Keep a key to your house with you if you regularly use the garage as the primary means of entering your home, in case the garage door will not open.