SC Sales Tax Holiday weekend is August 3, follow these tips aimed at saving South Carolina families money. By Curtis Loftis, South Carolina State Treasurer
Of course, you want to supply your child with the right materials, but you also want to avoid over-spending. So how can you make the most of your hard-earned dollars? It’s simple: plan to shop smart.
1. Follow the list: Teachers regularly provide a list of required materials. Don’t stray from what is suggested, as
extra items often go unused. Your child may plead for extra colored pencils that will end up untouched the entire year. Prepare your child in advance for sticking to the list.
2. Double check the closet: It’s possible that some of the supplies you need are items you already have from the
previous school year, and they are likely still in good condition. Check closets and drawers for binders, folders, and
pencils that can be utilized this year. Every dollar saved counts!
3. Avoid big brands: Your child may want the trendiest product from the most prestigious brand, but that doesn’t translate to best quality. Well-known brands have higher price tags, but the items are virtually the same as those
sold by lesser known brands.
4. Shop with cash: Estimate how much you’ll need to spend on your back-to-school list. Take that amount of cash, and try to buy all materials with cash only. That way you won’t be tempted to overspend. Your child can help keep track of your purchases as you shop.
5. Coupons, coupons, coupons: The Sunday paper is a great place to find discount coupons on back to school
supplies. Your child may want to join in the fun. You can also check websites like RetailMeNot, Groupon, and Krazy
CouponLady to find deals and discounts. With these tips in mind, your child will get all the important school supplies he or she needs for a successful year, and you won’t break the bank. What’s more, when you use your savings to open or add to a Future Scholar 529 college savings account, your child won’t just have a successful year, he or she will be on the path to a successful future.
Redacción de Periódico Latino